Two recent cases of maritime-related fires—one on an offshore platform and the other on a fishing vessel—remind us that fire prevention is incredibly important. In many cases, fires can be prevented with adequate planning and preparation. Below are some quick tips to reduce the risk of fire onboard a vessel and be prepared in case a fire does break out.
– Find and rectify leakages of fuel oil, lubricating oil, and exhaust gas
– Equip the vessel with flame detectors, heat detectors, and smoke detectors
– Never leave oily rags lying around
– Short sounding pipes should be kept shut with plugs
– Keep electrical equipment in the galley in good order
– Dispose of cigarettes property
Find more information and tips on fire prevention here.